Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New Twist on Chicken Pot Pie

Happy Wednesday!

It seems the week is going by so fast! It must be because I am so busy getting ready to do a birthday party, holidays, blog and housework. However, I did one of my favorite meals last night and wanted to share it with you all. I love when the weather gets cooler because it makes me want to cook comfort food. This my new twist on on chicken pot pie. I don't care much for potatoes, so I added one of my favorite vegetable to my favorite chicken pot pie dish - butternut squash. Butternut squash is so yummy and gives so much flavor to any dish you make. I use it in my chicken soup, paste dishes, as a side dish and the list goes on. Not to meantion winter squashes are so good for us. Click here to see article http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=63

Ingredients:
2 chicken breast or left over chicken from the night before
1 medium red or yellow onion
3 chopped up carrots
1 butternut squash - I used half of the squash
1 crown of broccoli or 1 small bag of frozen broccoli florets
1 1/4 cup of whipping cream
4 Tablespoon of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of flour
1 sheet of pastry puff or you can make your pie curst from scratch
1 egg (this is your egg wash)
Sea Salt
Black pepper
Garlic power
Olive Oil
**All you need is one large pan to cook with**

Directions:
Preheat your oven at 350 degrees.
1) Cut your chicken in cubes.
2) In a large pan on med-high heat add a couple of teaspoon of olive oil and when oil is hot add chicken. Cook through.
3) Set chicken aside , then add one teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and toss in the chopped up onion. Cook for 2 minutes
4) Next add chopped up carrots, broccoli and butternut squash and cook till tender not mushy. When chopping your veggies cut small pieces and not big chunky pieces. The smaller and not so fat veggie will cook quicker in the pan.
5) When the carrots, broccoli and butternut squash are tender, then add chicken
6) Then add salt, black pepper and garlic power to your liking. I don't like to give measurements on season because everyone's taste is different.
7) Then mix everything all together.
8) Next make a hole in the middle of the pan and I add the whipping cream, water, butter and flour and whisk in the center of the pan. Make sure you don't have any lumps of flour.
8A) If you don't like this method just whisk the whipping cream, water, butter and flour in a bowl and add to pan.
8B) When you add your wet ingredients to the mixture you mixture should have a creamy texture.
9) Once you have the wet ingredients in the pan mix well and let it sit on low for about 5 to 8 minutes more. Make sure it doesn't dry out, if it does add more whipping cream and water. Also taste to see if you need to add more salt or pepper.
10) While the mixture is in the pan, take your thaw out puff pastry and rolled it out on a flour board just enough to go over the top of your pie pan.
Note: I only use one curst for this recipe, but you can use two. This is a light version, well sort of. If you don't count the whipping cream. LOL
11) Place mixture in an ungrease pie pan
12) Place your puff pastry over top and cut off excess crust and cut slits on top for venting
13) Lightly beat one egg in a bowl and take your pastry brush and brush over pastry puff
14) Place in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes and enjoy!

I love how the pot pie came out and it taste great! I was so excited about make this meal last night I forgot to take pictures of every step, but this recipe is super easy and yummy and I am all about one pan or pot cooking too. Good Eating! I love to hear from you so leave me a comment.

Doesn't that crust look yummy?

The mixture is creamy and yummy! Smell great too!

The veggies are cut in small pieces and not big chunky pieces.  
Don't forget about My Memories suite giveaway this week. Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great week!  

Vanessa

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so amazing. Wish I could reach through the computer screen & have a bite! Thank you for stopping by & leaving a sweet comment on my blog, BTW.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely yummy and I can almost smell it from here! Thanks for sharing the butternut squash idea!
    I am your newest follower & I'd love for you to follow me back at Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks so good! I'm going to be making my own version of Chicken Pot Pie soon too, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I've not tried butternut squash but it looks like I may soon be, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic recipe and wholesome. I bet that didn't last long. TFS the recipe my family will love it.

    Blog hopping from Katherine's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks delish Vanessa, big Yum!!!!! True comfort food. Hugs and thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so great Vanessa wow.. I have diabetes so I created Pot pie soup which old and young alike strangely enjoy lol. It doesn't have potatoes or bread just veggies, chicken and herbs yum :) Thanks for following my blog. Nice to meet you..
    Blog URL http://intentionallyinspired.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you, please leave a comment.